Wednesday, March 3, 2010

New Neurologist


I had an appointment Monday with my new neurologist. He seems nice, listened when I was talking, etc. I just have to get used to him, because I loved my old neuro so much and was so saddened to see him move across the state.


We went over my past MS history thoroughly. He did a complete neurological exam with the pin, tuning fork, finger-to-nose, and all the rest. I did the "drunk driving test" and only made it to my third step before I began to fall. He wants me to have an MRI sometime this spring, as it's been two years since my last MRI, and also because I started Tysabri last September. I told him that I also wanted to change my infusion center from where my old neuro was over to the one connected to the hospital, which is where my husband gets his chemo now and which is only five minutes from the house. He's already gotten the paperwork started on that. This neuro's office is right by the same hospital, so it's going to make things much more convenient.


We also talked about my tremors and if I thought the Klonopin was helping them. I told him I honestly don't think the med is helping, so he suggested I get off it slowly, decreasing it by 0.5 mg a week. I'm still to take it at night, as I take it for insomnia. It works great helping me to sleep the night through.


I had my 6th Tysabri infusion last Thursday. I had two good months, where both my tremors and my balance improved. However, three weeks after my 5th infusion they got worse and didn't improve this time. I know that Tysabri isn't supposed to be a miracle drug, that it's meant to keep your MS stable, but I was hoping that I would be one of the ones who got extra benefit from it. However, if it does just keep me stable I won't complain. Before Tysabri, while I was on Betaseron, my MS was going downhill so quickly that it was scaring me half to death.


The daffodils I planted this fall are up two inches! Now, that brought a big smile to my face!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi MaryAnn,
    I am delighted I can visit you again without being hijacked to a strange page.
    The update about your daffodils sounds good look forward to seeing the flowering soon.
    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    It has been awhile since I visited many blogs.
    Decided to do a quick visit to say hello to as many blogs as possible tonight..
    Nice to visit your blog its been ages, I am sure it will not be so long again especially now my life is getting better.
    I went out this afternoon for the first time since 19 August 2009 and it was brilliant.
    Lovely to feel my world getting bigger again after all this time in bed.
    Have a good evening and a pleasant day tomorrow.
    Love,
    Herrad
    PS
    Please visit Steve @ The Wheel Of Fortuna

    http://spinfortunaswheel.blogspot.com/

    Important we support him in the first weeks of his bereavement.

    pps How is your darling doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mair.
    I just passed by to say hello.
    I hope you are doing well.
    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete