Monday, February 15, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


I was thinking back to all the neurologists that I've seen through these past 20 years. I knew something was definitely wrong, when one morning I woke up to find the entire right-hand side of my body numb. I went to my regular doctor who said it probably was stress and gave me some pills. Finally, I got in to see my first neurologist. He wasn't a very nice man. He ended up yelling at me that a person couldn't have "that many things wrong" and I quit seeing him.

My next neurologist came highly recommended. He wanted to do a spinal tap, said he never used anything to numb the area. Like a dumb sheep, I went along with what he said. Well, he missed the first time and had to re-do it. By then, I was laying there sobbing. When he eventually told me that it wasn't MS, that it was all in my head and he had a friend who was a psychiatrist, I quit going to him.

I finally found an internist who was willing to sit and listen to me. He took one symptom at a time and worked with it. He followed me clinically, then sent me for an MRI which showed plaques. What a relief!

My last neurologist was an outstanding doctor and person. I saw him for three years. He diagnosed me as Secondary Progressive, and also agreed that I needed to begin Tysabri. Unfortunately, he moved to another part of the state the end of December.

I'm scheduled to see a new neurologist the first of March. I've heard good things about him, that he takes the time to sit and talk to you, and that he cares about his patients. I sure hope so! At least, all he'll have to do is pick up where my last one left off since I'm diagnosed and on treatment.

I've learned that I don't have to do what a doctor tells me, I don't have to take sh*t from a person just because he has an MD after his name, and I know my body a lot better than they do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maryann,
    Boy you have seen some terrible doctors and some good ones, hope the new one is good to you.
    Keep warm.
    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does the surgery affect MS? I would love surgery to fix my bum knees that a PT ran into with MY scooter at 5mph. (I never walked again! YET no one sees a connection. $%^&*())

    ReplyDelete